Weight Watchers Tuxedo Meatball Soup with Escarole
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (28-ounce) can peeled tomatoes, broken up
- 1 cup small egg bow ties or small elbow macaroni
- 1 pound ground skinless chicken breast
- ? cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small bunch escarole, cleaned and chopped (about 8 cups)
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 6 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil in a nonstick Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer half of the onion mixture to a medium bowl; set aside.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, and pasta to the remaining onion mixture in the Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, about 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the chicken, bread crumbs, egg, salt, and pepper to the onion mixture in the bowl; mix well. Shape into 24 meatballs.
- Add the meatballs to the simmering mixture in the Dutch oven; return to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, until the meatballs and pasta are cooked through, about 10 minutes. Gently stir in the escarole and basil; return to a simmer and cook, partially covered, about 3 minutes. Serve with the cheese.