Weight Watchers Turkey Sausage and Mushroom Risotto
- 5–6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¾ pound turkey sausage, casings removed, sausage crumbled
- ½ pound white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¾ cup Madeira wine
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ cups Arborio rice
- ? cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Bring the broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce the heat and keep at a simmer.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage meat and cook, breaking up the sausage with a wooden spoon, until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and oregano; cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms are tender, about 4 minutes. Add ¼ cup of the Madeira and cook until it is absorbed, about 1 minute. Transfer the mixture to a bowl.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shallot and garlic; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the rice and cook, stirring, until it is lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Add the remaining ½ cup Madeira and stir until it is almost absorbed, about 1 minute. Add the broth, 1 cup at a time, stirring until it is absorbed before adding more, until the rice is just tender. The cooking time should be about 20 minutes from the first addition of broth. Add the sausage mixture, cheese, and pepper; cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute. Serve at once.