Weight Watchers Tomato and Red Wine–Braised Chicken Legs
- 4 (½-pound) whole chicken legs, skinned
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can Italian-seasoned crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 8 ounces pappardelle or extra-wide noodles
- Sprinkle the chicken with ½ teaspoon of the salt and ? teaspoon of the pepper. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned, 3–4 minutes on each side. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Add the garlic to the skillet and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and wine; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes. Return the chicken to the skillet and add the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and ? teaspoon pepper; return to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the chicken is cooked through and pulls easily from the bones, 35–40 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate; cover with foil to keep warm. Return the tomato mixture in the skillet to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, uncovered, until slightly thickened, about 8 minutes. Return the chicken to the skillet, then stir in the parsley and orange zest.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the package directions, omitting the salt, if desired; drain. Divide the pasta among 4 plates, then top with a chicken leg and the sauce.