Weight Watchers Seriously Spicy Chicken Chili
- 2 ancho chile peppers
- cup boiling water
- ¼ pound chorizo sausage, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (28-ounce) can Italian peeled tomatoes, broken up
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken thighs, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1–2 habañero peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups hot cooked white rice
- 6 tablespoons light sour cream
- 6 tablespoons chopped red onion or scallions
- Soak the ancho chiles in 1 cup of boiling water in a bowl, about 30 minutes. Drain and discard the liquid; finely chop the chiles and set aside.
- Heat a nonstick Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the chorizo and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the onion, celery, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 6 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, chicken, corn, cumin, sugar, salt, habañero pepper, and the ancho chiles; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, until the flavors are blended and the chili thickens slightly, about 40 minutes. Stir in the cilantro.
- Serve the chili in bowls with the rice; top with the sour cream and red onion.