Weight Watchers Sausage and Penne with Vodka-Tomato Sauce
- 6 ounces penne pasta
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (9-ounce) package fully cooked Mediterranean-style chicken sausage, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14½-ounce) can Italian-seasoned diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon vodka
- 3 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions, omitting the salt, if desired.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, turning occasionally, until browned, about 4 minutes. Transfer the sausage to a plate.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in the same skillet. Add the onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and vodka; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, about 2 minutes. Add the sausage and milk; simmer until heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the cheese. Serve with the pasta.