Weight Watchers Sausage, Kale, and Shrimp with Black-Eyed Peas
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ pound Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 Vidalia onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14½-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pound kale, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ cup sliced drained roasted red peppers
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage, onion, and garlic; cook, breaking up the sausage with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes, paprika, and red pepper flakes; bring to a boil, stirring to scrape up the browned bits from the skillet.
- Put the sausage mixture in a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Add the kale and black-eyed peas; mix well. Cover and cook until the kale is tender, 3–4 hours on high or 6–8 hours on low.
- Add the shrimp, roasted red peppers, and oregano; mix well. Cover and cook on high until the shrimp are just opaque in the center, about 30 minutes.