Weight Watchers Meatballs in Cinnamon-Tomato Sauce
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14½-ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes, broken up
- 1 (4-inch) cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound ground skinless turkey breast
- ? cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups hot cooked orzo
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until golden, about 7 minutes. Transfer half of the onion mixture to a medium bowl; set aside.
- Transfer the remaining onion mixture to a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Add the tomatoes, cinnamon, oregano, sugar, and pepper; stir well.
- Add the turkey, bread crumbs, egg, and salt to the onion mixture in the bowl; mix well. Shape into 24 meatballs; place on top of the tomato mixture in the slow cooker. Carefully spoon some of the tomato mixture over the meatballs. Cover the slow cooker and cook until the meatballs are cooked through, 3–4 hours on high or 6–8 hours on low. Discard the cinnamon stick. Serve the meatballs and sauce with the orzo.