Weight Watchers Gingered Chicken and Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large Vidalia onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 large (about 2 pounds) sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (10-ounce) package carved roasted skinless chicken breast pieces
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 6 tablespoons fat-free half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or flat-leaf parsley
- Heat the oil in a nonstick Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, and jalapeño pepper; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes and 3 cups of the broth to the Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let the mixture cool for about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture in batches, if necessary, to a food processor or blender and puree. Return the soup to the Dutch oven. Stir in the remaining 3 cups broth, the chicken, and lime juice; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until heated through, about 3 minutes. Divide the soup among 6 bowls, swirl a tablespoon of the half-and-half on top of each bowl, and sprinkle with the cilantro.