- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 pinch oregano or 1 pinch dried marjoram
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbp olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 6 1/4 cups vegetable stock
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large saucepan toss the onions, bay leaves, vegetable stock, lentils, garlic, carrots and marjoram or oregano.
- Let it boil and simmer gently for around 1 ½ hours with occasional stirring.
- Take out the bay leaves and add the red wine vinegar and pepper and salt to taste.
- Add a little stock or water if the soup is too thick, before serving.