Weight Watchers Easy Chicken Cassoulet
- 8 (5-ounce) bone-in skinless chicken thighs
- 6 ounces Canadian bacon, diced
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large leek, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 2 (15½-ounce) cans cannellini (white kidney) beans, rinsed and drained
- cups reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- ? teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spray a large Dutch oven or flameproof casserole dish with nonstick spray and set over medium heat. Working in batches if necessary, add the chicken and brown, about 2 minutes on each side. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Add the Canadian bacon to the Dutch oven and cook until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Add the carrots, celery, and leek; cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the beans, broth, water, thyme, black pepper, bay leaves, and cayenne, if using; bring to a simmer.
- Remove the Dutch oven from the heat; add the chicken and any accumulated juices, nestling the chicken among the vegetables. Cover and bake until the chicken is almost falling off the bone and the sauce is somewhat thickened, about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaves. Transfer 1 cup of the vegetable and bean mixture to a food processor; pulse until smooth. Stir this puree back into the Dutch oven to thicken the sauce. Stir in the lemon juice.