Weight Watchers Drumstick Osso Buco
- 8 (¼-pound) skinless chicken drumsticks
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 1 (14½-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups hot cooked white rice
- Sprinkle the chicken with ½ teaspoon of the salt and ? teaspoon of the pepper. Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned, 3–4 minutes on each side. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in the same skillet. Add the onion, carrot, celery, and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the wine and simmer 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, basil, oregano, and the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and ? teaspoon pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, about 10 minutes. Add the chicken and simmer, covered, until the chicken is cooked through, about 25 minutes. Serve with the rice.