Weight Watchers Crunchy Oven-Fried Chicken with Herb Gravy
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1? cups cornflake crumbs
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 (½-pound) bone-in chicken breast halves, skinned
- 2 (¼-pound) chicken drumsticks, skinned
- 2 (5-ounce) bone-in chicken thighs, skinned
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup fat-free buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon hot pepper sauce, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme or rosemary
- ? teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a large shallow baking pan with foil. Place a wire rack in the pan; spray the rack with nonstick spray.
- Place ½ cup of the flour and the cornflake crumbs on separate sheets of wax paper. Put the egg whites in a shallow bowl.
- Put the chicken in a large bowl; sprinkle with the salt. Whisk together the buttermilk and hot sauce in a glass measure; pour over the chicken and turn to coat.
- Coat the chicken, one piece at a time, with the flour, then dip into the beaten egg whites, allowing the excess to drip off. Coat the chicken with the cornflake crumbs, pressing lightly so they adhere. Place the chicken on the prepared rack; lightly spray with nonstick spray. Bake until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through, about 45 minutes (do not turn).
- Meanwhile, to make the gravy, melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the remaining 2 tablespoons flour; cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the chicken broth until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, until the gravy bubbles and thickens, about 2 minutes. Stir in the thyme and black pepper. Divide the chicken among 4 plates and serve with the gravy.