- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ¾ cup shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 cups skim milk
- 3 small all-purpose potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups chopped broccoli
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a Dutch oven or non-stick soup pot spray a non-stick cooking spray.
- Saute the onion and cook over the medium heat, stir until the onion starts to soften, for about five minutes.
- Add the potatoes, basil, carrot, broccoli and broth. Increase the heat to a boil, then lower the fire to low and simmer, covering the pot, for about 20 mins or until the vegetables are soft.
- Transfer the mixture in the blender and pulse until smooth.
- Pour the blended mixture into soup pot. Pour the milk and stir until heated. Remove the heat and allow it to cool for around one minute.
- Add in the cheese and stir until it melted. Add pepper and salt to taste.