Weight Watchers Corn Bread–Topped Red Chili
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- ¾ pound skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chile powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (28-ounce) can Italian peeled tomatoes
- 1 (15½-ounce) can red kidney beans
- ? cup yellow cornmeal
- ? cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup fat-free milk
- ¼ cup fat-free egg substitute
- ¼ cup (1 ounce) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Heat the oil in a nonstick Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, and jalapeño pepper; cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add the chile powder and oregano; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the flavors are blended and the chili thickens slightly, about 20 minutes. Rinse and drain the beans, then stir into the chili and cook until heated through. Transfer the mixture to a 2 quart shallow baking dish.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- To make the corn bread, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Combine the milk and egg substitute in a small bowl. Stir the milk mixture into the cornmeal mixture until just blended. Stir in the cheese. Spoon the batter in 6 spoonfuls on top of the casserole. Bake, uncovered, until the chili is bubbly and the corn bread is golden, about 15 minutes.