Weight Watchers Chili Verde
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- ¾ pound skinless boneless chicken breast, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 pound fresh tomatillos, chopped
- 1 (4½-ounce) can chopped green chiles
- ½ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15½-ounce) can cannellini (white kidney) beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- 6 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1½ cups baked tortilla chips
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell peppers, garlic, and jalapeño pepper; cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until browned, about 6 minutes.
- Add the oregano, sugar, cumin, and salt; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the tomatillos, chiles, and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the flavors are blended and the chili thickens slightly, about 20 minutes. Stir in the beans; return to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until heated through, about 1 minute.
- Serve the chili in bowls; top with the sour cream and red onion and serve with the chips.