- 1 sliced zucchini
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup sliced celery
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried basil
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1⁄3 cup uncooked barley
- 2 cups chopped green cabbage
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2⁄3 cup sliced carrot
- 6 cups fat-free chicken broth
- In a large saucepan, spray with nonstick spray. Add chopped celery, onion and carrots. Sauté until softened or for about five to seven minutes. Add the garlic last.
- Add tomato paste, in case you are out of paste you can use catsup, and stir it with the vegetables.
- Add the broth, herbs, barley and cabbage. Simmer for around 40 minutes, partly covered until the barley is tender.
- Add in the parsley and zucchini after the barley has cooked for around twenty minutes, let them cook for 20 minutes.