Weight Watchers Chicken Scotch Broth
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- ¾ cup pearl barley, rinsed 3 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 parsnips, peeled and diced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1¼ pounds skinless bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 (10-ounce) package cremini or baby bella mushrooms, halved or quartered if large
- 1½ cups frozen peas
- 1½ tablespoons chopped fresh thyme, or 1½ teaspoons dried
- Heat the oil in a nonstick Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 7–10 minutes. Add the broth, barley, carrots, parsnips, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Add the chicken; return to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the chicken is cooked through and the barley is tender, about 40 minutes.
- Lift the chicken from the soup and set aside until cool enough to handle. Pull the chicken meat from the bones, then tear or cut it into bite-size pieces.
- Add the mushrooms, peas, and thyme to the pot; return to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Return the chicken to the soup and heat through.