Weight Watchers Chicken Eggplant Parmesan
- 4 (¼-pound) skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 2 ounces fat-free mozzarella cheese, cut into 4 long, thin slices
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (8-ounce) eggplant, cut into ½-inch chunks
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dry Marsala wine
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 1½-or 2-quart baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Make a pocket in the side of each chicken breast by inserting a sharp paring knife into the thickest part, then gently cutting back and forth to make a small pocket in the side. Do not cut through to the back or the sides of the breasts. Place 1 slice of mozzarella cheese in each pocket. Place the chicken in the baking dish.
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 15 seconds. Add the eggplant and cook, stirring frequently, until it begins to soften, about 4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, wine, oregano, thyme, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes, if using, to the skillet. Cook, stirring frequently, just until the tomatoes begin to break down, about 2 minutes. Pour the mixture over the chicken. Cover and bake 30 minutes. Uncover, baste the chicken with any juices in the pan, and continue baking, uncovered, basting every 5 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes longer. Serve the chicken with the vegetables and sauce; sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese.