Weight Watchers Chicken Breast in Wine Sauce with Asparagus
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 carrots, diced
- ½ fennel bulb or 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup dry white wine or chicken broth
- 2 all-purpose potatoes (about ¾ pound), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup frozen small whole onions
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (1¼-pound) bone-in chicken breast, skinned
- 1 bunch (about 1 pound) fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1½ tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon or 1½ teaspoons dried
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Add the carrots, fennel, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, about 1 minute. Stir in the broth, wine, potatoes, onions, salt, and pepper; bring to a simmer, stirring constantly.
- Put the chicken in a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker; pour the vegetable mixture over the chicken. Cover the slow cooker and cook until the chicken and vegetables are fork- tender, 3–4 hours on high or 6–8 hours on low. Lift the chicken from the slow cooker and set aside until cool enough to handle. Pull the chicken from the bones, then tear or cut the meat into bite-size pieces.
- Meanwhile, add the asparagus and tarragon to the slow cooker; cover and cook on high until the asparagus is just tender, about 20 minutes. Return the chicken to the slow cooker; cover and cook on high until heated through, about 10 minutes.