Weight Watchers Chicken and Barley Soup
- 1red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¾ pound (2 small) sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 small carrots, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 2 small celery stalks with leaves, thinly sliced
- ½ cup quick-cooking barley
- ¾ teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups small broccoli florets
- ½ pound skinless boneless chicken breast, cut into 2 × ¼-inch strips
- Spray a nonstick Dutch oven with canola nonstick spray and set over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the potatoes, carrots, celery, barley, and thyme; cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 4 minutes. Add the broth, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the vegetables are softened and the barley is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the broccoli and chicken; return to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the broccoli is fork-tender and the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes.