Weight Watchers Caramelized Onion and Chicken Soup au Gratin
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 Vidalia onions, halved lengthwise, then thinly sliced crosswise
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, or ¼ teaspoon dried
- ? teaspoon black pepper
- 1½ cups chopped cooked chicken breast
- ½ (10-ounce) French baguette, cut into 16 rounds
- ½ cup shredded Comté, Gruyère, or Jarlsberg cheese
- Melt the butter and oil in a nonstick Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 8 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and well softened, about 12 minutes.
- Add the broth, wine, thyme, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, about 25 minutes. Add the chicken and simmer until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Preheat the broiler. Place the bread rounds on a baking sheet and broil 5 inches from the heat until toasted, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Place 4 bread rounds in each of 4 ovenproof soup bowls. Add the soup (a generous 2 cups in each bowl) and sprinkle evenly with the cheese.
- Place the bowls on the baking sheet and broil 5 inches from the heat until the cheese melts and is golden brown, about 3 minutes.