Weight Watchers Butterflied Cornish Hens with Crushed Pepper and Garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 (1½-pound) Cornish game hens
- Spray the grill rack with extra-virgin olive oil nonstick spray; prepare the grill for a medium-hot fire.
- Meanwhile, combine all of the ingredients except the hens in a small bowl; set aside.
- Using kitchen shears, cut along each side of the backbones of the hens; discard the backbones. Turn the hens, breast side up and open flat, then use the palm of your hand to flatten the breasts slightly. With your fingers, gently loosen the skin on the breasts and thighs. Rub half of the parsley mixture over the meat under the skin of each hen, then press the skin back into place; tuck the wings under.
- Place the hens, skin side down, on the grill rack and grill until the skin is deep golden and crispy, about 15 minutes. Turn the hens and grill until an instant-read thermometer inserted into a thigh registers 165°F, about 15 minutes longer. Transfer the hens to a cutting board and let stand for about 5 minutes. Using poultry shears or kitchen scissors, cut each hen in half by cutting along the breastbone. Remove the skin before eating.