Weight Watchers Brunswick Drumstick Stew
- 2 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 6 (5-ounce) skinless chicken drumsticks
- 1 Vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 (14½-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ? teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen baby lima beans
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup frozen cut okra
- 1 slice whole wheat bread, made into crumbs
- 1 teaspoon melted unsalted butter
- Cook the bacon in a nonstick Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp, about 3 minutes. Drain the bacon on paper towels and set aside. Add the drumsticks to the Dutch oven and cook until lightly browned, about 2 minutes on each side; transfer the drumsticks to a plate.
- Add the onion to the Dutch oven and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, broth, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens slightly. Add the chicken. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, about 20 minutes.
- Add the lima beans, corn, and okra; return to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the bacon.
- Meanwhile, toss the bread crumbs with the butter in a small bowl. Serve the stew sprinkled with the buttered crumbs.