Swordfish with beans is a traditional Southern Italy dish. It’s easy to make and very delicious.
- 2/3 c. chicken stock
- 2 cans rinsed and drained cannellini beans
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 4 (6 oz.) swordfish steaks
- ¼ c. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. fresh oregano leaves
- 6 garlic cloves – 2 sliced and 4 finely minced
- 2 Tbsp. flat-leaf parsley, and more to garnish, roughly chopped
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- In a dish, mix together minced garlic, oregano, and two tablespoons oil. Season fish with salt and pepper, and then coat in the garlic mixture and let marinate while you prepare the beans.
- Heat one tablespoon oil in a large frying pan over medium-low. Add onions and chopped garlic and cook, stirring constantly for about 6 minutes or until starting to brown. Increase heat to medium, add rosemary, stock and cannellini beans; simmer the mixture until stock is almost absorbed, for about 5 minutes. Discard rosemary sprigs.
- Place one cup of the bean mixture into a bowl and coarsely mash with a wooden fork. Return the mashed mixture to the pan and stir for 1 more minute. Add parsley and stir to mix well; keep warm.
- Set a chargrill or a frying pan over high heat and heat remaining oil. Add swordfish and sear until cooked, about 2 minutes per side.
- Divide the bean mixture among four serving plates; top each with swordfish and sprinkle with more parsley. Serve immediately.