Try this salad for its unique dressing which uses an unusual combination of bacon and orange juice. Rest assured that you won’t be disappointed. Healthy and tasty, this salad is sure to be loved by adults and children.
YIELDS: Makes 3 servings
• 2 large sweet potatoes, chopped
• 1 lb kale
• 1 turnip, peeled and chopped
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
To make the bacon dressing:
• 2 slices of bacon
• 1 red bell pepper, cored and chopped
• 1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
• 1 tablespoons peeled, minced fresh ginger
• 1 teaspoons ground cumin
• Juice from one orange
METHOD OF PREPARATION:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place the chopped sweet potatoes and turnips on a greased baking sheet and season them with salt and pepper.
3. Bake for about 30 minutes, until the vegetables have attained a brown color.
4. To make the bacon dressing: Cook the bacon in a pan over medium heat until they are crisp. Use a paper towel to drain excess oil off the bacon. Add olive oil to the pan. When the oil is hot, add bell pepper, onions and ginger. Cook for a few minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cumin, crumbled bacon and orange juice.
5. Steam the kale until it has wilted.
6. Toss the vegetables and kale with the bacon dressing.
7. Serve warm.
- Ravioli Salad with Sweet Potatoes and Feta
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Caribbean Inspired Sweet Potato Salad