Simple and elegant, this dish is sure to be a crowd pleaser. The light and soft sweet potato gnocchi combines well with the kale and sausage. Create this dish for its simplicity and divine flavors.
YIELDS: Makes 4 servings
• 32 ounces sweet potatoes
• 1 egg yolk
• 1 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
• 16 ounces chicken sausage, removed from casing
• 2 bunches Tuscan kale, stems removed and leaves chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• Pinch of red chili flakes
• 1/4 cup dry white wine
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
• Pinch of Salt
METHOD OF PREPARATION:
1. Pre heat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Use a knife or fork to pierce the sweet potatoes few times.
3. Bake the potatoes for about 40 minutes, until they are tender.
4. Once baked, slice the sweet potatoes into half and allow them to cool.
5. Scoop out the flesh from the potatoes and put them through a potato ricer.
6. Place the riced potatoes in a pan over medium heat. Cook for about 10 minutes and then transfer the potatoes to a bowl and allow them to cool.
7. Once the potatoes have cooled slightly, add egg yolk and half a cup of flour.
8. Stir well. Once a dough if formed, transfer it onto a flat surface.
9. Divide the dough into 4 pieces.
10. Roll out each piece into a cylinder, about 1/2 inch thick.
11. Use a sharp knife to cut the cylindrical dough into 1inch long pieces.
12. Transfer the pieces onto a parchment lined tray.
13. Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
14. Add sausages to the oven and cook until it has browned.
15. Add garlic, chili flakes and white wine. Cook for additional one minute.
16. Add kale. Season the mixture with salt and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
17. Cook the gnocchi in a pot with boiling salted water for a couple of minutes, until they begin floating.
18. Transfer cooked gnocchi to the sausage and kale mixture.
19. Reserve some of the cooking water. Add cooking water along with parmesan cheese to the gnocchi, sausage and kale mixture.
20. Cook for a minute until the parmesan has melted and a light sauce is formed.
21. Serve with grated parmesan on top.