This classic sweet potato casserole with marshmallows and pecans is sure to be an instant hit among your family. Dig into this easy to prepare dish for a comforting and enjoyable weeknight dinner.
YIELDS: Makes 16 servings
• 32 ounces sweet potato, peeled and cubed
• ¾ cup brown sugar
• 2 teaspoons salt
• ¼ cup butter, softened
• ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
• ½ cup pecans, finely chopped
• 2 cups mini marshmallows
• Cooking spray
METHOD OF PREPARATION:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Place the cubed sweet potatoes in a Dutch oven with cold water.
3. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat and allow the potatoes to simmer for 15 minutes, until they have softened.
4. Drain the water and allow potatoes to cool slightly.
5. Place potatoes in a large bowl. Add sugar, salt, butter and vanilla extract.
6. Mash the ingredients together.
7. Gently fold in ¼ cup of pecans.
8. Spread the potato mixture evenly onto a baking tray that is greased with cooking spray.
9. Sprinkle remaining pecans and marshmallows over the potatoes.
10. Bake for about half an hour, until the top has attained a golden brown color.