This Mexican inspired dish with black olives, bell peppers and a good dose of spices makes for a flavorful salad. Vibrant and light, this salad makes for a wholesome meal that is sure to entice your taste buds.
YIELDS: Makes 6 servings
• 1 cup uncooked quinoa
• 2 sweet potatoes
• 1 red bell pepper, cored and diced
• 1 avocado, diced
• 3 tablespoons minced green onion
• 1 cup sliced black olives
• 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
• 1/2 cup diced cherry tomatoes for garnish
• salt and pepper, to taste
To make the dressing:
• 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
• tablespoons lime juice
• 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
METHOD OF PREPARATION:
1. Boil quinoa in a pot with two cups of water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and then simmer until quinoa is soft and fluffy.
2. Leave quinoa aside, allowing it to cool.
3. Peel the sweet potatoes and dice them. Boil in a pot with water and a punch of salt. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
4. Drain the water and allow potatoes to cool.
5. In a large bowl, mix together potatoes, quinoa, bell pepper, onion, avocado, olives and cilantro.
6. To make the dressing: Whisk together olive oil, lime juice and chili powder in a small bowl.
7. Drizzle the dressing over the salad.
8. Garnish with cilantro and cherry tomatoes.