Tender, juicy apples and roasted sweet potatoes seasoned with spices make this a delectable dish. If you’re looking for an indulgent dessert that isn’t steeped in sweetness and is chocolate-free, this is the perfect recipe for you. Flavorsome and delicious, this divine dessert is sure to be loved by all.
YIELDS: Makes 6 servings
• 2 sweet potatoes
• 3 apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch rings
• ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
• ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
• 1 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
• 2 tablespoons maple syrup
METHOD OF PREPARATION:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place sweet potatoes on an aluminum foil and roast for an hour, until they are soft.
3. Remove from oven and allow the potatoes to cool slightly before peeling them.
4. Slice the potatoes into ½ inch rounds.
5. In a small bowl, combine cinnamon, ginger and all spice.
6. Grease a casserole dish with some butter.
7. Arrange half of the apple rings and sweet potato slices in alternate layers in the casserole dish. Sprinkle the spice mixture and drizzle maple syrup over the layers.
8. Place the rest of the apple rings and potato slices in layers, ending with a layer of apples. Sprinkle spice mixture and drizzle maple syrup over the top, along with the rest of the butter.
9. Cover the dish and bake for about 45 minutes, until the apples are tender.