Create this luscious and delicious sweet potato pie for a Sunday lunch. There are few things as comforting and enjoyable as a warm piece of pie. An ideal family meal, this sumptuous dish is sure to win everyone’s heart.
YIELDS: Makes 4 servings
• 6 sweet potatoes
• 1 tablespoon flour
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 1/2 cup milk
• 1 teaspoon curry powder
• 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• pepper, to taste
• 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
To make the multi-grain pie dough:
• 1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
• 1/4 cup flax meal
• 2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
• ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 3 tablespoons cold butter, cut up
• 3 tablespoons ice water
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 3 tablespoons canola oil
METHOD OF PREPARATION:
1. To make the pie dough: Combine flour, wheat germ, flax meal, Cayenne pepper and salt in a large bowl. Use a pastry blender to incorporate cold butter and oil into the flour mixture. The mixture will have a coarse texture. Add ice water gradually, until the mixture forms a dough. Flatten the dough into a disk and place it between two sheets of wax paper. Place the dough in the refrigerator for half an hour.
2. Add sweet potatoes to a pot with water. Bring to a boil and then allow it to simmer for about half an hour, until the potatoes are soft.
3. Drain the water and allow the potatoes to cool.
4. Once cooled peel the potatoes and place them in a large bowl.
5. Mash the potatoes along with eggs and milk.
6. In another bowl combine cheddar and flour. Add this mixture to the mashed sweet potatoes. Stir in ginger, curry powder, salt and pepper.
7. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll it out.
8. Fit the dough into a 9inch pie plate. Press the dough into the bottom and the sides of the plate.
9. Place the sweet potato mixture into the pie shell.
10. Bake for about 45 minutes, in an oven preheated to 375 degrees, until the pie attains a light golden color and a knife inserted into the pie comes out clean.