These easy to prepare quinoa and sweet potato patties make for a delightful meal. They can be stored for days in the refrigerators so your family can indulge in these delicious patties on busy weeknights.
YIELDS: Makes 6 servings
• 1¾ cups quinoa
• 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1inch pieces
• 2 carrots, peeled and finely diced
• 1onion, finely diced
• 2 cloves of garlic, minced
• 2 stalks of celery, finely diced
• 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
• 2 eggs, beaten
• ½ cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
• 1 teaspoon paprika
• salt & pepper, to taste
• 3 cups of water
METHOD OF PREPARATION:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place a pan over medium heat and add olive oil to it. Sauté onion, carrots, celery and garlic in the pan for about 4 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
3. Add water, quinoa and paprika to the pan.
4. Cover the pan and bring the mixture to a boil. Then lower the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
5. Place the potato pieces in the microwave for about 5 minutes, until they’ve softened.
6. Mash the sweet potatoes and add it to the quinoa mixture along with the eggs and bread crumbs. Mix well.
7. Allow the mixture to cool for about 15 minutes and then shape them into patties
8. Place the patties on a greased baking sheet.
9. Bake for about half an hour. Allow the patties to cool for about 10 minutes before serving.