This simple pasta with a creamy, rich and healthy sweet potato sauce is sure to be loved by your family. Put together this delicious pasta on busy weeknights for an enjoyable dinner.
YIELDS: Makes 5 servings
• 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
• 1 large sweet potato
• 2/3 cup milk
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 1 tablespoon pine nuts
• 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 1 teaspoon olive oil
• 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
METHOD OF PREPARATION:
1. Scrub and dry the sweet potato.
2. Use a fork to pierce the sweet potatoes a few times and then microwave for 10 minutes until the potato is tender.
3. Once the potato is soft, remove the skin. Mash the potato with milk.
4. Cook pasta according to directions given on the package.
5. In a pan, sauté pine nuts and sage with butter, until the pine nuts are toasted.
6. Transfer the pine nuts and sage to a bowl.
7. In the same pan, sauté garlic with olive oil for a minute. Add sweet potato mash, salt and pepper to the pan.
8. Drain pasta, keeping aside ¾ cup of the cooking water.
9. Add the water to the sweet potato mixture.
10. Stir in cheese and pine nut mixture.
11. Add this mixture to the cooked pasta and mix well.
12. Sprinkle parmesan cheese over the pasta.