A protein filled soup of lentils and Swiss chard, flavored with thyme, oregano and lemon juice.
- 1 ½ lbs. Swiss chard, leaves cut into 2-inch pieces, stalks chopped into small pieces
- 1 c. rinsed lentils
- 1 ¼ Tbsp. olive oil
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 c. finely chopped onion
- Salt to taste
- Ground pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large saucepan set over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until browned and tender. Stir in oregano, tomato paste, and thyme. Add tomatoes with juice, 5 cups water and lentils; bring the mixture to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer the mixture, partially covered, for about 20 minutes. Add chard stalks and cook for about 5 minutes or until starting to soften. Add chard leaves, salt and pepper and cook for about 20 minutes or until chard and lentils are tender.
- Stir in the lemon juice and scoop the soup into serving bowls. Drizzle some of the remaining olive oil over each serving if desired.