This tasty rice and bean salad combines great flavors of garbanzo beans, kidney beans, and brown rice. This healthy recipe will replace high-fat, low-nutrition picnic salads in your household. Rinse the canned beans to remove excess sodium, if you’re watching sodium intake.
- 1 ½ c. brown rice, uncooked
- 3 c. water
- ¼ c. olive oil
- 1 can (15-oz.) rinsed and drained unsalted dark kidney beans
- 1 can (15-oz.) rinsed and drained unsalted garbanzo beans
- ½ c. spring onion or shallots, chopped
- ½ c. fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/3 to 1/2 c. rice vinegar, to taste
- Cook rice in stockpot with water for about 50 minutes or until tender. Put rice in a bowl. Let the rice cool to room temperature before stirring in the remaining ingredients. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.