Light and rich, this chocolate cake makes for a beautiful dessert. Created with a sweet potato and banana puree and topped off with orange zest, you’ll find yourself pleasantly surprised with this cake. Healthy and delicious, this cake is also gluten free.
YIELDS: Makes 8 servings
• 6 ounces 70 percent dark chocolate
• 1/4 cup roasted sweet potato
• 2 overripe bananas
• 1/4 cup honey
• 1 whole egg
• 3 egg whites
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 tablespoon orange zest
METHOD OF PREPARATION:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a double boiler, combine chocolate, vanilla and orange zest. Make sure the chocolate is completely melted.
3. In a large bowl, mash bananas, roasted sweet potatoes and honey until a smooth puree is formed.
4. Add melted chocolate mixture and one whole egg to the sweet potato puree. Mix well.
5. In a separate bowl whip the egg whites together.
6. Fold the egg whites into the potato and chocolate mixture.
7. Place 8 greased ramekins on a baking sheet.
8. Spoon the mixture into the ramekins.
9. Bake for about 7 minutes. The cakes should be soft and warm in the center.
10. Garnish the cakes with some extra orange zest.