This recipe brings out the perfect combination of eggs and sausages. It’s tender, tasty and your family will love it.
- The crust:
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 lb. peeled and shredded russet potatoes
- ¾ tsp. ground pepper
- ¾ tsp. salt
- The casserole:
- ¾ c. shredded Cheddar cheese
- 16 oz. low-fat cottage cheese
- 12 oz. turkey breakfast sausage, chopped
- 1/3 c. skim milk
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 egg whites
- 6 large eggs
- 4 green onions thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with a tablespoon olive oil and set aside.
- Squeeze excess moisture out of the potato with a kitchen towel or paper towel.
- Toss together the potatoes, the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper in a medium bowl until potatoes are well coated. Transfer the mixture to the coated baking dish; evenly press the mixture against the sides and on the bottom of the dish and bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown on the edges.
- Reduce the oven heat to 375°F.
- In a large skillet, cook turkey sausage over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes or until it’s almost cooked through. Add green onions and red bell pepper and continue cooking for 2 more minutes or until bell pepper is tender.
- Whisk together skim milk, eggs, egg whites, and the cheeses. Stir in turkey sausage mixture; pour over the potato crust and bake for about 50 minutes. Slightly cool and cut into 12 pieces.