With their sweet, mild, onion flavor, leeks are a great addition to this soup. Thoroughly wash the leeks before cooking because they are grown in sand soil and tend to trap grit in their multilayered leaves.
- 4 leeks chopped
- 2 c. chilled evaporated skim milk
- ¼ tsp. mace
- 4 c. unsalted chicken broth
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 6 Tbsp. chopped chives
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; add the onion and leeks and sauté for about 7 minutes or until browned. Add mace, chicken broth and potatoes; cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Blend the mixture in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Transfer to a large bowl and refrigerate. To serve, stir in the evaporated milk and spoon into serving bowls. Top each serving with a tablespoon chives and a sprinkle of pepper. Serve cold.