Irresistible aromas emerge from this beefy bean soup that has been brewing without as much as a stir. This hearty soup is loaded with veggies and beans it is a meal all in itself.
- 1 c. dry white wine
- 3 c. beef broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ¾ lb. beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme leaves or 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 2 medium celery stalks, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cans (15 to 16 ounces) navy, lima or great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- Crumbled cooked bacon
- Chopped fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat and cook onion and beef, stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes or until beef is just tender. Stir in wine, beef broth, thyme, bay leaf, pepper, celery, carrots, and beans, cover and simmer on low heat for about 60 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Discard bay leaf. Put into soup bowls and top with bacon and parsley.