When it comes to an impromptu breakfast, nothing beats a frittata, an Italian version of a healthy omelet. This recipe relies on the convenience of artichokes, which are not only delicious but also a great source of fiber.
- 1 can (14-ounce) artichoke hearts, coarsely chopped
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp. oregano, dried
- ¼ c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ tsp. salt
- In an oven-safe skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium heat; cook bell pepper for about 2 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and crushed red pepper and cook for about 30 seconds. Transfer the mixture to a clean plate and clean the pan.
- In a medium bowl, beat gently beat the eggs. Stir in pepper mixture, pepper, salt, oregano, parmesan, and artichoke hearts.
- Position rack 4 inches from heat and preheat the boiler.
- Add remaining oil to the skillet and heat over medium heat. Add egg mixture and distribute it evenly by tilting slightly. Lower heat to medium-low and cook the egg mixture for 4 minutes. Transfer the pan to broiler and broil for about 2 ½ minutes or until set. Transfer the frittata to a serving plate and cut into wedges.